Tuesday, March 29, 2011

I'm going to do something I'm going to regret...

So living in a residential area, I'm limited to the type and number of animals I can keep.  Therefore, while I can have a couple hens for laying, I cannot raise a couple dozen chickens for food.

I just found a local farm that sells chicken that was pastured on grass, and you receive the chicken the day after it was dispatched and dressed.

I've never had meat that fresh.  So while I'm excited about getting to try it, and thrilled I can support a local farmer, I know it's going to spoil me forever until I get my own farm where I can raise my own meat.

3 comments:

  1. You will love it. It taste a little different, but that's a good thing. You will be spoiled forever. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know you really don't need a big area to grow your own meat chooks, and they are not noisy at all. Try getting just 6 birds even if you have to take a lttle drive to get them. It is so worth the effort. 2x3 mts is all you need. My last lot weighed 2.7kg dressed. Even if you only do it once, you have learnt a new skill!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. TECHNICALLY, since I'm in a residential area, I'm not allowed to slaughter anything.

    Technically.

    ReplyDelete